Friday 19 December 2014

Life Onboard

I find it quite a struggle to try and explain what life is like on Africa Mercy, I feel that even when I explain this lifestyle it isn't totally right. I don't know if you have ever lived in community living? If you haven't I will try explain, the people who you are share a cabin with you work with, eat your meals together, hang out with, watch movies together, attend meetings together, and so on. You are always with the same people which is different from at the end of the day you leave work and go home, instead I have the kitchen over my head. I don't want this sound like a negative thing it is just a change, that I have adjusted too.

Mercy Ship is built on volunteers and there is the constant coming and going of people. Tomorrow 30 people are leaving here, in this past week I have attended 3 going away parties for 4 people who are dearly missed or will be dearly missed.

So to try a give you a peek at my life I will try explain the last couple of days. The pictures may explain it better than I can. There is always some sort of activity that you can be part of, people to talk to, take a trip to town, read a book in Mid-Ships, or work on your tan by the pool.

Wednesday: 

I posted Wednesday pictures of the market so that filled our morning.

    

New Roomate!!


   


Can't leave your room a mess when you're going leave got to give it a quick sweep. I was very helpful by being photographer of this glamorous moment! 





Rianne, with the Statue of Liberty at her good-bye party! 
On Tuesday it was her last of work in the galley and as per tradition she had a water dumped on her. Soon war was declared and every one was totally went along with the entire galley, the floors that day were super clean. 




Rianne was here 6 months and is going to be missed! 




I was really hungry like normal! :) So Willeke had some white chocolate chips in our fridge so we made white chocolate chip sandwiches and put it in the toaster. Our 11 o'clock snack was delicious! 


Thursday:




Thursday morning I was sitting in the cafe and the primary kids came and sang us the Christmas carols they are had learned for the ward. 








Willeke has taken over Rianne's room and now she has a palace all to herself! 
(I'm planning to do a room picture tour soon)



After our Thursday night we always get ice cream, which is super exciting. The choir did a flash mob of Carol of the Bells it was pretty neat. Everyone was so excited and enjoyed it so much that they asked for an encore and they sang again! 





Friday:

Today was my first day in the galley without having Rianne to fall back on, but it all worked out in the end. 


I can't wrap my head around that it is almost Christmas so today I decided to started a Christmas countdown.


Tonight, we had a bonfire on the beach for two of my friends who are leaving. Yes, I know that is hot outside and I fire will just make it hotter but it was neat to have. The picture above is taken on the beach and the lights across the water are actually the ship. 



What would a bonfire be without some guitar playing? 






Caleb is leaving tomorrow, before we left he had to tell the story of how he fell on coral reef and cut him up. Basically the water wasn't very deep, he tired surfing on a kayak, yes I know crazy! A wave came along and he rode it but at the end he fell onto this sharp coral. One side of him is just scraped open from the coral, if that wasn't bad enough he had to walk across the coral to retrieve his kayak. Robbie was also their and they went back and forth from each others points of view. Caleb is going to have scars to remember his first every surfing experience. Nothing like a goodbye story! 

I don't know if this post really gives you a taste of life here or the crazy busyness of it, but like I said before it is hard to put into words or explain. So I hope this just gives you a glimpse because I can only say so much. 

2 comments:

maria said...

Your post sure does give us a glimpse of what living on a Mercy Ship is all about! A picture always speaks more than a thousand words.
In the meantime, it is Christmas here, and your Christmas day is almost over. I hope your dinner was as nice as it looked, and even though it's late, we still want to wish you a Blessed Christmas Marlayna!
Love from grandpa and grandma B

Unknown said...

So loving following you as you experience this amazing journey you are on. Keep sharing.