Sunday 11 January 2015

Foulpointe

Finally, I have actually made it to Foulpointe! It was amazing, palm trees, crystal clear water, and amazing beaches what could be better. I went to Foulpointe with 7 other girls, we also had a guide along who answered our questions and explained the sights along the way. We piled into a Mercy Ships vehicle with one seat to spare, we left at 0700 and arrived at 0900. It is only a 45 km drive to Foulpointe but the roads wind, sometimes it seems like the potholes will swallow you up. The drive wasn't the comfortable drives I have ever taken, I think I will just call it an adventure! 




We stopped at this beach along the way. We can't swim there because of the undertow and the rocks lining the shore. 
When we left the port it was raining and it seemed to rain sporadically throughout the day, however, the morning got it the brute. That is why there is such dark clouds overhead. While at Foilpointe, there were times where it was raining and super sunny at the same time. It was perfect because it would cool you off from the Malagasy heat. 


This is a Malagasy Tomb sight, I know that you can't see as it's hidden in the trees. Each family has it's own tomb and after 5-10 years of a person passing away they dig up the bones. Once, they have dug up the bones they have a party for the dead so they can reunite with there family. 



A rice patty along the way! 


We had to stop so the zebu could cross the bridge. Zebu is like a type of ox but it can be male or female. I have eaten zebu from one of the street vendors and it is super delicious! I highly recommend it, if you ever get the chance to try it!


Beach Time! 





The water is super warm and clear. The current is pretty strong so when you try swim against it you don't get far. 












I took this picture before I managed to sunburn myself! I look like a lobster now, but I am not the only one on the ship who looks like this so I don't feel so bad! 

 

There are many vendors on the beach, trying to sell you a coconut to a necklace to a massage.


Wanna come relax on the beach? 


The view from our bungalow porch.

 

Banyan trees the roots grow from the top of the tree down into the ground.


This fence was once a raft. The Malagasy people floated down the rivers with there goods to Tamatave once they arrived they turned the raft into a fence. Reusing at it's finest! You see a lot of these fences around I don't know if everyone of these fences was once a raft, but from what I understand most were.


The Foulpointe trip was awesome it was nice to get off the ship for a few hours, work on my tan or burn in my case! I hope you had a just as great weekend as I did!



1 comment:

maria said...

That really looks like an interesting trip! Two hrs. for a trip of 45min? The road must be really something! :) Love all your pictures! Keep them coming!