Thursday 27 November 2014

First Day in the Galley

Yesterday, was my first day of work. The galley and dining room crew work on a rather weird schedule. On week I work just 2 days, Wednesday and Thursday like this week. Then next week I work 5 days, Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. On the weekend we only serve breakfast and dinner, at breakfast you grab your lunch. I start at 8 o'clock unless it's the weekend then I start at 6 o'clock. We take turns doing dishes so one day you're done at 5 o'clock and the next at 7 o'clock.

 We started off the morning in the Queen's Lounge with all of the stewards for a meeting. Basically all the people crew members are introduced and welcomed, announcements are made, and devotional is given. The day crew then end the meeting by singing a African Hymn.

Then it's down to galley, where I work on the cold side. My roommate Rianna, used to work the cold side by herself and the day crew. Otherwise, working with just the crew day is kind of boring because you can't really have a conversation as their English is quite broken. Yesterday, was a crazy day because today is American Thanksgiving not only did we prepare yesterday's meals but also prep for today. Yes, we are having turkey dinner which I know I will appreciate at a lot more now that I had to tell prepare it.

I have a great team to work with!

5 comments:

maria said...

Good! Now you know how, next year YOU get to do the turkey! ;)
Love, grandma

Marlayna Van Hoepen said...

But I could never make turkey like you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are quickly adjusting to life on board the Mercy Ship! Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your turkey dinner! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

By the way, what is the "cold side" in the galley? I'm curious! Mom

Marlayna Van Hoepen said...

My turkey dinner was amazing! The cold side is where we prepare all the vegetables, salads, and salad bars. Typically we are done earlier and then help the hot side finish up.