Wednesday 25 February 2015

Last Day in the Galley

As per galley tradition on your last day water is dumped on you. Yesterday, all day I knew what was going to happen it was just a matter of when. I am the only crew girl on the team so with 5 guy crew I could easily be over powered by them, so there was no chance for me to fight this fate I just had to accept. Around 4:30, I was washing the tilt skillets and all the crew and day crew seemed to have disappear so I knew they were all plotting against me. One of the day crew asked me if they could take a picture with me and I knew it was going downhill from here! Emma took a picture and then Joel took my hat, shoved an egg on my head and then dumped water on me. Ben, my team leader acted all surprised like he hadn't planned this at all, and it was disgusting that they put and egg in my hair. Ben asked if we could help carry the white compost buckets down to the dock, but there wasn't one for me to carry. Joel was like just come along anyway it will be nice, as we are walking down the gangway he puts his arm around me and says how much he's going to miss me. One second he is telling me how sad he is to see me go and then next he is dumping flour on my head, and Belinda is pouring water on me. The entire galley team gets to the bottom of the gang way and Robbie gives me a hug or so I thought but he was actually holding me so I wouldn't run away. Next thing I know they have opened the compost buckets that they have filled with water and dump 5 of them on me and then some more flour. It was a great send off from the galley! Everyone on the dock was just staring because I don't think they know the galley tradition so they were all a little confused. After being egged and floured I then had to climb the gang way and walk through the dining room I looked hilarious bits of egg shells stuck in my hair! Even after I showered and used more than my allotted 2 minute shower time I still found flour and egg and stuck in my hair!

I loved working in the galley! The crew and day crew is was what made the job so bearable on the awful days and filled it will fun, joy, and great memories! I couldn't have asked for a better team to work with! I will never forget you all!


2 comments:

Marian said...

LOL...fun times :) You will never forget the wonderful experience that you had with Mercy Ships.
When do you head home again?

Marlayna Van Hoepen said...

I leave the ship on Saturday morning, and arrive home Monday evening.